Apply to Become a Candidate For Youth Observer
The Youth Observer to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Board of Trustees is an important, national leadership position that functions as the primary liaison between General Assembly (GA) Youth Caucus and the Board, but represents a larger youth voice on the Board. See the Statement from the 2010-2011 Youth Observer for more information on what it is like to be the Youth Observer.
For this year only, there will be an election for two Youth Observer positions: a one-year term and a separate two-year term. You must select one of the terms for which to run.
To Be Eligible
You must be a youth who:
- For the one-year term position, will be in high school (Grades 9-12) or the equivalent for the 2015-2016 school year;
- For the two-year term position, will be in high school (Grades 9-12) or the equivalent for both the 2015-2016 school year and 2016-2017 school year;
- Is active in a UUA congregation;
- Is able to attend the first Board of Trustees Meeting on Monday, June 29, 2015 in Portland, OR (following the close of General Assembly) and all Board meetings thereafter. Attendance is also expected at the 2015 and 2016 General Assemblies (as well as the 2017 General Assembly for the two-year term). (NOTE: All expenses related to presence at Board meetings and GA are paid by the UUA.)
- Candidate Name and Contact Information
- Which of the two terms (one-year term or two-year term) for which you want to run
- Grade in school September 2015 - June 2016 (and September 2016—June 2017 for the two-year term)
- Campaign Statement (around 100 words)
- Electronic picture (optional)
- Link to campaign video statement (see guidelines below)
- Parent/Guardian Permission Form—One-Year Term (PDF) or
Parent/Guardian Permission Form—Two-Year Term (PDF)
- Download the appropriate Permission Form PDF and print it, have your parent/guardian fill it out and sign it, and submit it in one of the following ways:
Campaign Video Statement
Each youth observer candidate is asked to submit a video campaign statement by the application deadline. Video statements must meet the following expectations:
- No more than three minutes in length
- Simple shot of the candidate responding to questions (no video effects; UUA staff will add in title slides)
- Candidates should respond to the following prompts/questions:
- Name, congregation
- Why do you want to be the UUA Youth Observer?
- If elected, how would you use the non-voting position of Youth Observer in service of Unitarian Universalism?
Applicants can use a video camera, smart phone or tablet camera, webcam or laptop computer camera, or any other electronic video recording equipment. The video file or files should be added to a file sharing site (such as Dropbox) and the link included with the application email. Applicants who need assistance with this requirement or who do not have access to this equipment should contact the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries (contact information below) as soon as possible, and arrangements will be made to provide support for this process.
If you are interested in applying to be a candidate for the Youth Observer position and have questions, please contact the UUA Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at youth [at] uua [dot] org or (617) 948-4350 to find out more about the role and election process.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.