Summer Leadership Schools for Youth
Typically longer than a con (conference), leadership schools give participants a change to dig deeper into leadership development topics, among others. Several different types of leadership schools happen across the country. Some are youth only, while others are combined. Some are small with twenty participants, while others have many more.
Also take a look at the variety of leadership schools offered that youth may attend as part of a multigenerational team.
- Summer Seminary is a program for Unitarian Universalist youth exploring the possibility of becoming a religious professional. Focusing on ordained ministry and credentialed leadership in religious education and music, the program offers youth the opportunity to explore their call to ministry in all its forms, learn about life as a religious professional, and connect with other youth considering ministry, religious education and other religious professional career paths.
- Multicultural Leadership School (MLS) for Unitarian Universalist (UU) Youth and Young Adults of Color is a training designed specifically to equip them to be leaders in their UU congregation, district or continental committee. Participants gain a new community of peers, stronger and more confident leadership abilities and a stable foundation for sustainable leadership in UU congregations and other UU communities and organizations.
Most districts and/or regions offer youth leadership schools more conveniently located nearby. Check the links to district/regional youth events in your area for the most up-to-date information about more local schools.
Here’s a sample of what’s been happening over the last few years.
- Read these Blue Boat blog posts about Summer Seminary and the experiences of participants in previous years.
- Midwest Youth Leadership School (YLS) happens every year in the MidAmerica Region, in tandem with their adult leadership school. The YLS website has videos from past years.
- The Metro New York District held a leadership schools in 2011 and 2012. You can view pictures on the school’s Facebook page.
- The Unitarian Universalist Association’s (UUA’s) Multicultural Leadership School for Youth and Young Adults of Color (MLS) entered its fifth year in 2014. Read this Living Mosaic blog post about the 2013 MLS.
- The Pacific Northwest District (PNWD) holds GoldMine annually. 2012 welcomed a class of 21 youth from the PNWD and Canada.
- Northern New England hosted a GoldMine in 2011. View the Goldmine 2011 video (YouTube) from that event.
For more information contact email@example.com.