Alternate Activity 2: Piecing Together History
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 5, Unitarian Universalist Women Ancestors
- Scissors, including left-handed scissors
Preparation for Activity
- Make two copies of Leader Resource 5, Unitarian Universalist Women Ancestors - one to cut up for the activity, and one as a guide for the leader(s).
- Cut up Leader Resource 5 so that you have a pile of squares, some with bios and some with just names. When you distribute them, be sure you have both the name and the corresponding bio in the pile.
Description of Activity
This activity increases knowledge and understanding of Unitarian, Universalist, and Unitarian Universalist female ancestors. Decide how many ancestors you will use based on the number of participants. If there are ten participants, you will use five ancestors (five names and five matching bios.) Fifteen ancestors are provided.
Distribute matching names and bios to participants so that each person has one square. Tell the participants to wander around "introducing" themselves as their ancestor, trying to figure out which names go with which bio statements. Tell them that when they find their match, they should sit down together.
Once everyone has found their match, ask each pair to read their papers aloud--one person saying "I am PERSON" and the other reading the bio statement.
If there are enough ancestors, do a second or even a third round.
- Which women had you known of before this activity?
- Why do you think we do an activity that focuses just on Unitarian Universalist women?
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.