Alternate Activity 1: Unitarian Universalist Values Skits
Activity time: 60 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Six index cards
- Assorted costumes pieces, such as hats, wraps, costume jewelry, etc.
Preparation for Activity
- On each of the index cards write one of the six core values of Unitarian Universalism explored in Workshop 3- freedom, reason, tolerance, faith, hope, and love. Along with each word write, "As a Unitarian Universalist I value [insert the value] because... "
- Write the skit guidelines on newsprint: 1) everyone must have a part or line, 2) do not play yourself, and 3) everyone must have a costume.
Description of Activity
This activity is a fun way of articulating the core values explored in the program. It should be done after participants create their own faith statements.
Explain to the group that they will be divided into six small groups, and each small group will be assigned one of the core values of Unitarian Universalism-freedom, reason, tolerance, faith, hope, and love. Each skit should be about three minutes long. Direct participants to the three guidelines posted on newsprint.
Break participants into six groups and give each group one of the value index cards. Explain that this card tells them which value their skit will focus on and that somewhere in the skit they must use the line "As a Unitarian Universalist I value [insert value name] because... "
Invite the groups to imagine a real-life situation-past, present, or future-where this value might come into play, and to develop a skit around that situation. Skits can be humorous or serious.
Tell the groups that they have 20 minutes to prepare. If there are other spaces available, encourage them to go there to plan and practice. Circulate around the groups to offer assistance, remind them of the guidelines, and let them know how much time they have left.
After 20 minutes, gather the small groups and invite them to present their skits. After each skit, lead a short discussion with these questions:
- What did you observe in this skit?
- What made you reflect on your Unitarian Universalist identity?
- How is the information presented in this skit applicable or useable in your life?
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.