Faith In Action: Respect Videos, Workshop 4: Respect
In "Virtue Ethics," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- A variety of costumes and props
- Optional: A video camera
- Optional: A computer with Internet connection
Preparation for Activity
- Two options are suggested for creating respect videos: live actors on film or cartoons created using softward available on the Internet. Verify the feasibility of both options before offering the youth a choice.
- For the cartoon option, explore Xtranormal software online or Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper (MASH), which is freeware that can be downloaded to use with the Microsoft Agent (c) application.
- Test electronic equipment before the workshop.
Description of Activity
The group creates videos for younger children, demonstrating respectful behavior.
Invite the youth to choose the live actors or animated characters option for a video they will make for younger children (or, if they have only one option, briefly tell them about it).
Engage the group to write a script. Brainstorm to identify three or four scenarios younger children might encounter where respectful behavior should be encouraged. One way to demonstrate respect is to show a scene where someone is disrespectful and then show the scene again, demonstrating respect. Humor, flashy or outrageous costumes and props can make the videos more fun. Consider inviting congregational adults of various ages to play roles.
Choose a venue to show the videos. You might work the videos into a children's chapel or congregational worship service. Post them online, perhaps on your congregation's website or Facebook page or on YouTube, to give the videos a longer life and a wider audience. Arrange with your religious educator for the youth to show the video to a group of younger children and to lead a discussion about respect afterward. Encourage the youth to invite the children to share other situations where they have witnessed respect or disrespect.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, March 15, 2012.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
- Entire Program
- Entire Program (Paper-Saving Version)