You Are Here
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Taking It Home
- Chalice lighting words (from Opening)
Preparation for Activity
- Adapt the Taking It Home section and copy for all participants.
- Post the chalice lighting words.
- Optional: Print the closing quotation (below) for a volunteer to read.
Description of Activity
Remind participants that this is the last workshop. Ask the group to read together, aloud, the Opening words you have used for each workshop:
The thought manifests as the word
The word manifests as the deed;
The deed develops into habit;
And habit hardens into character;
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
And let it spring from love
Born out of concern for all beings...
As the shadow follows the body,
As we think, so we become.
- from the Dhammapada, Sayings of the Buddha
Remind the group that you discussed this reading in the first workshop. Ask, "Does it mean anything to you now, that it did not mean at the beginning?" Take all responses.
I wish you a lifetime of being loyal to yourself and to the values and virtues you hold dear. The people that we are, the people we are always becoming, are precious and holy. Amen.
Extinguish the chalice. Distribute Taking It Home.