Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
— Rachel Carson
Today's workshop asks participants about their spiritual connections to nature. Consider whether you might want to hold part of today's entire workshop outside to accentuate the natural theme. In today's busy world, it can be especially difficult for youth to find time to explore nature. Feel free to extend the workshop, if possible, or abbreviate some activities if you feel participants would benefit from just spending time outdoors and observing nature.
This workshop will:
- Engage youth in reading and discussing a poem about nature
- Use poetry as a way to experience and think about the natural world and our relationship to it
- Guide participants to observe the natural world
- Utilize the participants' sensory experiences to create poetry
- Optional: Give participants an opportunity to gift their community with a butterfly garden
- Optional: Expose participants to music about nature.
- Share personal connections to the natural world
- Open their senses in order to use their powers of observation fully
- Experience conveying sensory information through poetry
- Identify a Principle that talks about our relationship to the natural world
- (Optional) Share the joy of nature with their community
- (Optional) Appreciate music as a poetic tool for expressing the beauty and wonder of nature.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.