You Are Here
Faith In Action: The True Story of the Flaming Chalice
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, The Flaming Chalice
- A copy of the story "Righteous Among the Nations"
- Props for a dramatic presentation, such as costumes, puppets, and arts and crafts materials
- Optional: Video recording equipment
Preparation for Activity
- Read Handout 1, The Flaming Chalice and the story, "Righteous Among the Nations," and familiarize yourself with both.
- Copy the handout and the story for all participants.
- Optional: The story of the flaming chalice is available as a pamphlet from inSpirit: The UU Book and Gift Shop; order one or more copies in advance.
Description of Activity
Provide participants with copies of The Flaming Chalice (Handout 1, or a pamphlet) and the story "Righteous Among the Nations."
Invite the group to retell the story of the creation of the flaming chalice and/or the work of Martha and the Reverend Waitstill Sharp to others in the congregation.
Lead the group to choose and implement a storytelling project. Participants may wish to:
- Work with the minister, religious educator, or other worship leader to write and perform a skit or play as part of a worship service
- Create a puppet show or other dramatic presentation
- Make a video recording of their storytelling presentation, or produce a dramatic video to post on the congregation's website.