Activity 1: Story - Righteous Among the Nations
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Righteous Among the Nations"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to present it effectively.
- Optional: Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Youth hear a story that illustrates the core value of compassion found in Unitarian Universalism and other faith traditions.
Say, in your own words:
Throughout this program we will share stories that help us articulate our Unitarian Universalist commitment to social justice work when we do interfaith work with others. The origin of the flaming chalice is such a story.
Tell or read the story or distribute copies to participants and have volunteers read aloud, taking turns at each sentence or paragraph. Remind the group that anyone has the right to pass.
Then, lead a short discussion using these questions:
- Thinking about your Unitarian Universalist faith, what values and beliefs do you commonly hold that support the work done by the Sharps?
- How do you feel about what the Sharps accomplished?
Share with the group, in your own words:
The Sharps are only the second and third Americans so honored by Israel's Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority, also called Yad Vashem. The Righteous Among the Nations include people from over 40 countries, including China, Turkey, Chile, Vietnam, and many European nations. It includes Oskar Schindler-the person featured in the movie Schindler's List-and Pope John XXIII. It includes the Pilkus, a Muslim family, and other families from Albania, a country that is 70 percent Muslim, yet has 68 members named Righteous Among the Nations. People of many different faiths worked to save those who were persecuted by the Nazis. Though Jews were the primary targets, the Roma, gays, and atheists were persecuted, too.
- While history has many stories of interfaith cooperation, why do you think we do not hear about interfaith cooperation as much as we hear about religious conflict?
For more information contact email@example.com.