You Are Here
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Name tags and markers
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Handout 1,The Flaming Chalice
- Optional: Copies of the UUA pamphlet "The Flaming Chalice" for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Set up a worship table with the chalice and any decorative items you choose.
- Read Handout 1, The Flaming Chalice so you can tell the story in your own words.
- Optional: The story of the flaming chalice is available as a pamphlet from inSpirit: The UU Book and Gift Shop; order in advance.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to wear name tags. Gather the group in a circle.
Distribute copies of Singing the Living Tradition and invite participants to read in unison Reading 580, "The Task of the Religious Community."
Light the chalice.
Ask the youth if they know the story behind the flaming chalice symbol. Allow participants to share what they know (or think they know). Then, tell the story as you understand it, affirming the parts participants mentioned and filling in details they may not know.
- Today, the chalice symbolizes different things to different people. What does the chalice mean to you?
- What does the story of the flaming chalice have to do with interfaith service work?
If you have ordered pamphlets, distribute them.