Activity 3: Justice Treasure Hunt
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Index cards and pencils
- Baskets or bags (1 per pair of youth) to collect treasures
Description of Activity
Youth will explore the congregation for signs of justice making.
Ask participants if they think their congregation is actively involved in justice making right now. This activity invites youth to look for clues as to how the congregation puts Unitarian Universalist faith into action. Divide the group into pairs. Each pair will go on a treasure hunt for ten minutes to find at least five items that represent how the congregation is involved in justice making. Remind youth to be respectful and to collect only items that cannot be harmed or will not disturb anyone in the process. If they wish to include an item that cannot be put in the basket, instruct them to use the index card and pencil to write it or draw it. Make suggestions and urge them to think broadly. For example, collecting recycling goods means less space for landfills, which typically are located in poorer neighborhoods and contribute to environmental racism or classism. Tell the participants that they will need to describe why they chose the items when they return to the whole group.
Once the group has returned and shared, ask the following questions:
- Did you find evidence that social justice is important to the congregation?
- Was it difficult to find signs of justice making?
- Did you discover an activity the congregation is involved in that you did not know about?
- Did you find any activities you are or were a part of? Which ones?
- Did you find any activities the congregation participates in with others from different faiths?
- Are UUs the only people who believe we have a responsibility to work for justice?
- Were any of the activities ones UUs might have participated in 10 years ago? What about 50? What about 100?
Remind the group that times change and so do the issues, and since the world is not perfect, there are always places where injustice exists. Therefore, we, as UUs must work with other people of faith to become aware of injustice and speak truth to power.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.