Alternate Activity 2: Points to Ponder
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Three large pieces of construction paper and markers
- Painters tape
- Leader Resource 3, Do You Agree?
Preparation for Activity
- Write "Agree," "Disagree," and "Unsure" on the construction paper. Post the "Agree" sign on one end of the room, the "Disagree" sign on the opposite wall and "Unsure" on a wall in the middle.
Description of Activity
Youth consider points of view-some may be different from their own and others they might share. They will indicate whether they agree, disagree or are unsure about the views.
Remind youth that part of being aware includes recognizing that there are many different ways of viewing a situation.
Read one point from Leader Resource 3, Do You Agree? and ask youth to move to a sign that best expresses their view. Ask for volunteers to explain why they stood where they did. After explanations, if youth want to change their positions, they may do so.
Continue the process with as many points as you choose.
Ask youth for general observations about the activity and how they felt sharing their opinions on the topics. Guide a whole-group discussion using some or all of the following questions:
- How did it feel to take a position on some of the topics?
- If there was a particular topic that you were unsure about, what information would you need in order to form an opinion?
- Was there a statement read where you were clearly in the minority in your position? Did you consider changing your position to conform to the majority? Why or why not?