Welcoming and Entering
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Leader Resource 1, Photographs of Thoreau, Gandhi, and King
- Optional: Computer with Internet access
Preparation for Activity
- Post enough newsprint so several participants can write at once.
- Print Leader Resource 1 and cut apart the photographs.
- Write across the top of the newsprint in large letters: "What Does Martin Luther King Jr. Have to Do with Hinduism?" Add the photograph of King from Leader Resource 1, Photographs of Thoreau, Gandhi, and King.
- Optional: On another sheet of newsprint, write this quote from King's 1964 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, and post:
Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.
- Optional: If you have a computer and Internet access, go to MLKOnline. Prepare to show video or audio of one of Rev. King's speeches.
Description of Activity
Participants share their thoughts on connections between Martin Luther King Jr. and Hinduism.
As participants enter, invite them to write their thoughts on newsprint. If they ask questions about Hinduism or answer the question posted on the newsprint, say they will discuss both during the workshop.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.