Taking It Home, Workshop 23: Wider and Stronger
In "Building Bridges," a Tapestry of Faith program
The religious community is essential, for alone our vision is too narrow to see all that must be seen. Together, our vision widens and strength is renewed. — Mark Morrison-Reed, UU minister and author
IN TODAY'S WORKSHOP... we reviewed religions we have explored together, and reflected on how they meet their followers' needs. We connected our engagement with other religions to our UU faith, and planned actions to keep being bridge-builders.
- What would it be like to belong to a religion that taught all other religions were wrong, and only yours had the truth? If you believed that, how would your life be different?
EXPLORE THE TOPIC WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Continue exploring religions. Here are some ideas:
- Take a world religions course in school or online.
- Attend religious festivals that are open to the public.
- Ask someone from another religion to tell you about their religion. See if they are comfortable inviting you to a worship service, another event at their faith home, or a family religious celebration. Invite them to join you at yours, too!
- Join an interfaith group or start one at your school, congregation, or community center.
- Explore websites followers maintain for religions not covered in Building Bridges. Take care to identify who publishes online resources—it may be a denominational organization, an individual congregation, or one person. As you explore, keep in mind that most faiths can be followed and celebrated in a variety of ways.
- Keep talking about religion—with your friends, your family, and your friends' families, if you are comfortable doing so.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, November 3, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Entire Program
- Entire Program (Paper-Saving Version)
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- Workshop 17
- Workshop 20
- Workshop 21
- Workshop 22
- Workshop 23
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources