Find Out More, Workshop 2: Unitarian Universalism: The Journey Starts at Home
In "Building Bridges," a Tapestry of Faith program
Unitarian Universalism — History and Beliefs
Find extensive resources on the Unitarian Universalist Association website, including:
- "Unitarian Universalist Origins: Our Historic Faith" (pamphlet)
- "Flaming chalice: Symbol of Our Faith" (article)
- UU Perspectives (links to topical web pages on the UUA website)
- In the Tapestry of Faith adult curriculum, The New UU:
- Common Views Among Unitarian Universalists (Workshop 1, Leader Resource)
- Themes in North American Unitarian Universalist History (Workshop 2, Story)
- Cathedral of the World (Workshop 1, Story), an excerpt from Cathedral of the World: A Universalist Theology by Forrest Church (Boston: Beacon Press, 2009).
- The Tapestry of Faith youth curriculum A Place of Wholeness guides UU youth to examine their faith journeys in the context of Unitarian Universalism.
Books include Unitarian Universalism: A Narrative History (Chicago: Meadville-Lombard Press, 2001); find many more titles in the "history" section of the online UUA Bookstore. Another source for Unitarian, Universalist, and Unitarian Universalist history is the Religious Tolerance website.
Universalist theology in a number of denominations is the subject of an article on the website Believe: Religious Information Source. A mid-19th-century article, "Brief History of Universalism" by Rev. J.M. Austin, appears in full on the website of Auburn University.
Lydia Maria Child
- Short Biography in the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography
- Biographical story, background, and suggested activities and discussion questions in Stirring the Nation's Heart: Eighteen Stories of Prophetic Unitarians and Universalists of the Nineteenth Century by Polly Peterson (Boston: Skinner House, 2010)
- Full length biography, Crusader for Freedom: A Life of Lydia Maria Child by Deborah Pickman Clifford (Boston: Beacon Press, 1992).
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Monday, October 31, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Entire Program
- Entire Program (Paper-Saving Version)
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- Workshop 17
- Workshop 20
- Workshop 21
- Workshop 22
- Workshop 23
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources