Activity 1: Story - Losing Faith
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "Losing Faith"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story until you are comfortable presenting it.
Description of Activity
Youth hear a story about a woman who loses her belief in God.
Tell or read the story. Ask for participants' initial reaction. Ask additional questions, such as:
- Does the way McCarthy first encounter atheism surprise you? What do think of her attempt to get attention?
- The incident described in the story happened when McCarthy was twelve, but she did not "come out" as atheist until years later. Why not? How do you think atheists were perceived in the 1920s?
- Have you heard other people talk about "losing faith" before? Have you ever lost faith? Have you ever experienced a major change in your faith? [Encourage participants to share as they are comfortable.]
- McCarthy says the devil gave her the idea to pretend to lose her faith. Do you think she meant this literally?
- What do you think of the quote, "I do not mind if I lose my soul for all eternity. If the kind of God exists who would damn me for not working out a deal with Him, then that is unfortunate. I should not care to spend eternity in the company of such a person."?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.