Taking It Home, Workshop 17: The Quakers—Lamb and Lion
In "Building Bridges," a Tapestry of Faith program
A religious awakening which does not awaken the sleeper to love has roused him in vain. — Jessamyn West, novelist, in The Quaker Reader, 1962
IN TODAY'S WORKSHOP... we talked about the Society of Friends or Quakers. We heard the story of Lucretia Mott, discussed gender equality and inequality, debated peace and war, and reflected on the merits of simplicity.
- Is there such a thing as a "just war?" If so, how would you define it?
EXPLORE THE TOPICS FURTHER WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS...
- Read the book The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West (New York: Mariner Books, 2003; original copyright, 1940), a novel about a 19th century Quaker family, or watch the movie made in 1956 and directed by William Wyler. Ms. West also has many other books you might enjoy.
- Read the inspiring book, The Power of Half: One Family's Decision to Stop Taking and Start Giving Back, by Hannah Selwen and Kevin Selwen (teenage daughter and father) , about a family of four who together changed their lives to make a difference in a dramatic way.
- There are many movies about peace and war. Quaker.org has a good list. Make sure you check out the rating before watching.
- Unitarian Henry David Thoreau is famous for saying, "Simplify, simplify, simplify." Could you use a little more simplicity in your life? A website called Pioneer Thinking has 10 practical steps to help you.
- Read more about the Underground Railroad at How Stuff Works.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, November 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Entire Program
- Entire Program (Paper-Saving Version)
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- Workshop 17
- Workshop 20
- Workshop 21
- Workshop 22
- Workshop 23
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources