Leader Resource 3: Panel Questions
P= Peace Advocates
W= Just War Advocates
- (Both) State your position on the use of violence in human interactions.
- (Both) State your position on the use of violence for self-defense.
- (P) Proverbs 15:1 (read, "Proverbs, Chapter 15, Verse 1") says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger." What do you do when a soft answer doesn't work, and someone's anger grows, anyway?
- (W) The most common response to a violent situation is more violence (for example, someone hits you and you hit them back; a country is stockpiling weapons so another country invades them). What do you do when responding to a violent situation with violence does not work, and the violence persists?
- (Both) Martin Luther King, Jr., stated, "Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love." Do you agree, and if so, give an example of meeting the forces of hate with the power of love.
- (Both) Is there such a thing as a "just war?" If so, what makes a war just?
- (Both) State what you see as the most persuasive argument for the other's point of view.
- (Both) Do you base your point of view on your ideals and values, or on your personal experiences, or both?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.