Handout 3: Child Starvation
- Every 3.6 seconds a person dies of starvation
- Conservative figures show that five million children under age five die from hunger-related causes
- One in eight children in the United States goes to bed hungry every night
- Hunger is twice as prevalent in minority households as white households in the U.S.
- Worldwide agricultural production is greater than 2,700 calories daily for every human being on earth
- Malnutrition causes pain, joint deterioration, dental decay, compromised immunity, impaired thought processes and muscle control, and slow growth
- In the United States, 27% of edible food is thrown away each year. Half of the wasted food could feed 40 million people, half the number of people who die of starvation on earth every year.