Handout 5: Sikh Pop Quiz
1. If you meet a Sikh, an appropriate way to greet them is:
a. "Salaam Alaikum"
c. "Sat Sri Akal"
2. Ninety-nine percent of the persons who wear turbans in the United States follow what faith(s)?
d. Sikhism and Islam
e. Hinduism, Sikhism, and Islam
3. Sikhs are predominantly from which part of the world?
d. New Jersey
4. When did Sikhs first come to the United States?
a. In the 1960s during the large wave of Asian immigration to the U.S.
b. With the Pilgrims on the Mayflower
c. Early 1900s
d. In the 1940s to fight with U.S. forces during World War II
e. In the 1980s during a time of great political unrest in India
5. Sikhs have made which of the following contributions to American society?
a. The inventor of fiber optics is a Sikh
b. The largest federal court security contractor for the U.S. Marshals Service is a Sikh-American owned company
c. A Sikh is America's largest peach grower
d. One of the first doctors to arrive at ground zero on 9/11 was a Sikh
e. All of the above
6. A Sikh-American is likely to have been in the United States for how long?
a. Three generations
b. Two generations
c. One generation
d. Two to three generations
e. One to two generations
7. For a Sikh male, removing their turban in public is:
a. Not a problem
b. Tantamount to taking off their pants
c. A sign of respect
d. An inconvenience, but not forbidden
e. Not cool
8. Sikhism is the world's:
a. Largest religion
b. Second largest religion
c. Third largest religion
d. Fourth largest religion
e. Fifth largest religion
9. True or False? Sikhs can cut their hair whenever they want, without violating the tenets their faith.
10. The guiding principle(s) of a Sikh's life:
a. Be removed from worldly things if you want to save yourself from their corruption
b. Sikhism is our only salvation
c. Always remember to pray during the day
d. Share with the needy, work honestly and hard, always remember the Creator in everything you do
e. Live hard, die young
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.