Handout 2: Scenes of Prospective Conflict
Here are some situations where you might have trouble keeping your cool.
- You drop your cell phone and somebody steps on it, destroying it.
- Someone hits your compact car with their SUV.
- You are a clerk in a store and a furious customer brings back a defective product.
- Two of your friends have a fight, decide they hate each other, and insist you take sides.
- Your parent has had a bad day and takes it out on you with constant criticism.
- Your sibling will not leave you alone.
- A friend asks you for the five millionth time to loan them something you know you will never get back.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend breaks up with you with an email or text.
- A slacker at work messes something up, blames it on you, and you get fired.
- A friend borrows your car and gets in a wreck, totaling your car. Your friend was at fault.
- A shipping company lost the package your brother sent you. When you call, they treat you disrespectfully, tell you there's nothing they can do, and warn you not to call again.
- When you call tech support for your computer, you get a technician whose accent makes it hard for you to understand what they are saying. You cannot tell if this person understands what you are saying, either.
- You've been in line for a long time. When you finally step up to the counter, the cashier closes the line.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.