Activity 5: Song - Standing Like a Tree
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint and makers
- Leader Resource 2, Standing Like a Tree
- Optional: Computer with Internet access
Preparation for Activity
- Watch a YouTube video of a kindergarten class singing "Standing Like a Tree" to familiarize yourself with the song.
- Write the lyrics and motions from Leader Resource 2 on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: Invite a song leader from your congregation to teach the song to the group.
Description of Activity
Invite the group to stand in a circle. Say, in these words or your own:
There are lots of songs about trees. One well known song is "Standing Like a Tree," which I'm going to teach to you by call and response: I will sing one line and then you repeat the line.
Once participants are comfortable with the words, introduce the motions that accompany each line in the same way: First the leader says or sings a line, and then the participants respond.
Optional: Show the YouTube video of a kindergarten class singing this song.
Including All Participants
If some participants cannot stand, include chairs in the circle.