Activity 5: Discussion - Option 1
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write these questions on newsprint and post:
- Why is this story preserved?
- What were they trying to teach with this story?
- What is it that we can learn?
Description of Activity
Invite participants to discuss the questions posted on newsprint. Use some of these questions to provoke, guide or further the discussion, as needed:
- Who is the God that appears in this story, and how is God different from the God in other stories we have explored?
- What does it mean if we are all related?
- Unitarian Universalists reject on scientific grounds the idea that there is a single creator and a single act of creation. Compare and contrast our seventh principle, respect for the interdependent web of existence of which we are a part, with the understanding of the universe as a single creation.
- How is the scientific understanding that humanity is one (we are all descended from the same set of ancestors) in harmony with the idea of humanity in this biblical creation story? How is it different?
- What wisdom is there for Unitarian Universalists in honoring Sabbath?
- Are there ways in which you honor Sabbath in your life, or long to do so?
For more information contact email@example.com.