Closing (15 minutes), Workshop 7: Isaiah - Exile and Hope
In "Wisdom from the Hebrew Scriptures," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Creating the Closing Worship
- Taking It Home handout
- Chalice, candle and lighter, or LED battery-operated candle
- Stand or table space for the chalice
- Decorative covering for chalice stand
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Recording of "Bein' Green" by Kermit the Frog
- Music player
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist Association hymnbook or words to your chosen song
- Optional: Keyboard or drums for musical accompaniment
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
- Decide on the order of worship for the closing and plan how you will include a contribution from all small groups. Use Leader Resource 2, Creating the Closing Worship, to help you plan.
- Invite three or more song leaders to lead "By the Waters of Babylon" as a round, and provide them with music so they can prepare.
- Write an order of service on newsprint. Here is a sample to adapt:
- Opening music
- Chalice lighting
- Exile and Hope
- Reading the Prophet's Scrolls
- Musical Reflection
- It Gets Better
- Closing words
- Make copies of Taking It Home.
- Optional: Recruit a musician to teach and/or accompany the hymns.
Description of Activity
Create a worship service, weaving together contributions from all of the breakout groups. Do not over-script the worship service, but rather create a worshipful "container" to hold all of the insights, thoughts, feelings, creations, and contributions of participants. At the end of the worship, extinguish the chalice and read the words of Elizabeth Selle Jones, Reading 456 in the hymnbook, or choose a benediction or closing words familiar to participants. Distribute Taking It Home.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, October 28, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- List of Stories
- List of Leader Resources