Activity 2: Retelling the Story
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "The Binding of Isaac"
- Optional: Simple costumes
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the story so that you can guide a dramatized retelling.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to take on the various roles, asking questions to set the scene before choosing any volunteer actors. Ask:
- Where will Abraham be when he receives the command from God?
- Where will Isaac be?
- Where will the mountain be? They had to travel to get there.
- Who will be Abraham?
- Who will be Isaac? Who will be the two boys who accompany Abraham and Isaac on their journey?
- Who will be God? And who will be the angel of God?
- Where will the altar be where Isaac is bound to be sacrificed? Where will the ram be caught?
After the actors are in place, ask: "What happens first? And next? Guide participants through a re-enactment of the story, asking at appropriate intervals, "What is Abraham thinking and feeling? How about Isaac? What do the two boys who accompany Abraham do? What do they think about what is happening? What is God thinking? How does God's voice sound to Abraham? Can Isaac hear it? Does he know what is going to unfold? Encourage those who are not actors to make suggestions and offer encouragement to those who are acting out the story.
After the re-enactment, invite participants to offer comments, observations, and insights about the story.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.