Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter, or LED battery-operated candle
- Stand or table space for the chalice
- Decorative covering for chalice stand
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
Description of Activity
Bring participants together and welcome them. Invite a volunteer to light the chalice as you share a favorite children's chalice lighting used by your congregation.
Ask participants what they do when they hear a story that makes them scared. Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible story which people have been puzzling over for a very long time. It is another story of Abraham, this time with his son, Isaac-a story that makes us want to say, "No!" when we hear it.