You Are Here
Activity 7: It Happened in the Desert - Option 3
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- 2-feet X 3-feet piece of plywood
- Collection of small rocks and stones
- Small pieces of plants to represent desert vegetation, either artificial or natural
- Glue gun
- Craft glue
- Small dish of water
- Several inexpensive 1-inch paint brushes
- 11 X 14-inch piece of card stock or other heavy paper for moving sand
- Small bits of fabric
- Assorted pipe cleaners
- Leader Resource 2, Judean Desert Well Photograph
- Optional: Computer and Internet connection
Preparation for Activity
- Set out materials.
- Thin the craft glue with a little water so that it will spread easily with a paintbrush.
- Print Leader Resource 2, Judean Desert Well Photograph, in color if possible.
- Optional: Prepare to show the photographs found at the Bible Walks website or print several of the photographs in advance.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to create a representation of the desert where Hagar twice encounters first God, then an angel of God. Look at Leader Resource 2 and, if possible, other photos of the Judean Desert. Invite participants to consider how to create a desert. Some in the group can start by painting the areas of the plywood where sand will be placed with the diluted glue mixture, and then use the cardstock to help sprinkle sand on the wet glue. Use a cold temperature glue gun and/or craft glue to add stones, rocks, and vegetation to the desert. Decide together where Hagar’s well will be located and build it from stones, placing a tree nearby. While some work on the landscape, invite others to use pipe cleaners to create Hagar, Ishmael, and the angel of God, using bits of fabric to dress them. Add the figures to the completed landscape.