You Are Here
Activity 2: Retelling the Story
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "Sarah, Hagar, and Abraham"
- Optional: Simple costumes
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the story so you can guide a dramatized retelling.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to take on the various roles, asking questions to set the scene before choosing any volunteer actors. Ask:
- What will tell us that we are in the desert? Where will Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar's tents be? Where will the goats and sheep be?
- Who will be Sarah? What might she be doing as the story begins? Is she happy, sad, angry?
- Who will be Hagar? What will she be doing as the story begins? How is she feeling?
- Who will be Abraham? Where will he stand to look at the night sky and count the stars?
- Where will Hagar run to when she runs away? Will she go to the same place later on when she is put out with her son?
- Where will we put the well, and the tree near it?
- Who will be God's voice, speaking to Abraham, and also to Hagar? Where will you be so that we only hear your voice?
- Who will be the angel of God?
After the actors are in place, ask: "What happens first? And next?" Guide participants through a re-enactment of the story, asking at appropriate intervals, "What is Sarah thinking and feeling? What about Hagar? And Abraham? How does God sound when he talks to Abraham? To Hagar? Encourage those who are not actors to make suggestions and offer encouragement to those who are acting out the story.
After the re-enactment, invite participants to offer comments, observations, and insights about the story.