Activity 5: Discussion - Option 1
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write these questions on newsprint and post:
- Why is this story preserved?
- What were they trying to teach with this story?
- What is it that we can learn?
Description of Activity
Invite participants to discuss the questions posted on newsprint. Use some of these questions to provoke, guide or further the discussion, as needed:
- At the time they wrote this story down, what kind of story was it? What moral meaning did people make of this story?
- What was God's morality in this story?
- How is this story like the manna story (Workshop 3)? How is it different?
- What meaning do we draw from it now? How has the moral meaning of this story changed over time?
- Read the opening quote. How are that quote and the story it tells related to this scriptural story?
- Do we also dehumanize people in historical or cultural legends?
- How is this story our own story?