Activity 6: Wearing the Prophet's Mantle - Option 2
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Scarves, capes, or pieces of fabric that can be draped over the shoulders
- Items to decorate the scarves, capes, or pieces of fabric, such as pieces of felt, foam pieces, stickers, sequins, buttons, feathers, pompoms, fake fur
- Low-temperature glue guns and glue sticks
Preparation for Activity
- Collect scarves, capes, and pieces of fabric that can be decorated for this activity. Try the local thrift shop or visit a fabric remnants store.
- Set out scarves, capes, and fabrics as well as items for decoration.
- Make sure there is working space near electric outlets so that the glue gun can be used easily.
Description of Activity
As the groups divide, make sure there is an adult or a youth who will handle each glue gun. Invite the small group to create a prophet's mantle. Invite them to try on a variety of scarves, capes, and/or fabric pieces and then choose decorations. Ask adults or youth to use the glue gun to affix decorations to the prophet's mantles. When the mantles are done, invite each participant to put on their mantle and to take turns enacting Nathan calling David out on his wrong behavior. After each practices being Nathan, invite them to be a modern-day prophet, calling out a wrong behavior that goes on in our own world (such as littering, hitting, taking more than your share, etc).
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.