You Are Here
Activity 2: Retelling the Story
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "David and Goliath"
- Five small stones
- Bandana or scarf to serve as slingshot
- Optional: Simple costumes
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the story so that you can guide a dramatized retelling.
Description of Activity
Tell participants they will have the opportunity to re-enact the story. To set the scene before choosing any volunteer actors, ask:
- Who were the two armies? Where should we place them?
- What kind of equipment did the Philistine army have? How were they feeling?
- What kind of equipment did Saul's army have? How were they feeling?
Then, ask: "Who would like to play Goliath?" Choose a volunteer and invite that person to practice taunting Saul's army.
Ask: "Who would like to play David?" Choose a volunteer. Ask the group what David is doing at the beginning of the story. Say, "And now we need armies, Saul's army and the Philistine army. Who is going to be in the armies?" Invite the armies to take their places. Ask: "What happens first? and next?" Guide participants through a re-enactment of the story, asking at appropriate intervals, "What is Goliath thinking and feeling? What does he do? What is David thinking and feeling? What does he do? What are the armies thinking and feeling and what do they do?" Encourage those who are not actors to make suggestions and offer encouragement to the performers.
After the re-enactment, invite participants to offer comments, observations, and insights about the story.