Faith In Action: Congregational Water Use Awareness, Workshop 8: Gather to Celebrate
In "Gather the Spirit," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Paper and pencils/pens
- Optional: Clipboards
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- If the congregation has a Green Sanctuary committee, invite the members to participate in this Faith in Action.
- Obtain information on finding and fixing leaky pipes on the Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water website.
Description of Activity
Lead the group to identify and implement ways the congregation can conserve water.
Share these facts and tips from the EPA website:
- Reduce faucet leaks by checking faucet washers and gaskets for wear and, if necessary, replace the faucet with a Water Sense labeled model.
- Leaky toilets are most often the result of a worn toilet flapper. Replacing the rubber flapper is a quick fix that could save a home up to 200 gallons of water per day.
- For a leaky garden hose, replace the nylon or rubber hose washer and ensure a tight connection to the spigot using pipe tape and a wrench.
- Landscape irrigation systems should be checked each spring before use to make sure they are not damaged by frost or freezing.
Distribute paper and pencils/pens, and clipboards if you have them. Take the group around and outside the building. Inspect all the pipes, faucets and hoses, noting any leaks or drips.
Return to the meeting space. On newsprint or paper, list recommendations to submit to the congregational leadership. Introduce the recommendations with a brief description of the work the group has done in Gather the Spirit to understand stewardship of water and why it is important. Perhaps the group or some representatives can present the recommendations to congregational leadership. The group can advocate for fixing any problems they have found. If the congregation cannot afford to immediately replace leaky faucets or switch to energy efficient toilets, see if the group could work on a fundraiser.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources