Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home handout
- Clear bowl to serve as a chalice
- A small, hardy plant (such as a spider plant or shamrock plant)
- Optional: Small table
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Adapt Taking It Home for your group. Prepare copies or email to adult participants and parents.
- Place the chalice bowl and plant where all can gather around it.
- Optional: Write the closing words on newsprint, and post.
Description of Activity
Gather the group. Briefly summarize the workshop:
Today, we heard a story about Pete Seeger and his friends sailing on the Clearwater to help save the Hudson River. We talked about the way some people feel called to do certain things, like helping to save and share the Earth's resources. We talked about how all the Earth's resources are connected, so working to protect one also helps protect others.
Give participants a moment in silence. Then, invite participants to offer a thought about what moved them during this workshop. Say something like:
Think about our time together. What will you take with you as we leave today?
Allow a moment for reflection. Then invite volunteers to answer. Then say:
We will recycle our chalice water by nurturing our plant.
Pour the water from the chalice bowl into the plant.
As you pour, recite the closing words:
We leave our Gather the Spirit friends now, but not our Gather the Spirit friendships. May they be with us always.
Distribute the Taking It Home handouts you have prepared. Thank and dismiss participants.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.