Faith In Action: Documentary — Flow, Workshop 5: Chorus of Life Resounding as One
In "Gather the Spirit," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- A DVD of the documentary film "Flow" and player/monitor
- Information about global water activism opportunities
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain a copy of the DVD and preview it.
- Schedule a time to show the documentary. Publicize the event via the congregational newsletter, website, flyers, worship service announcements and other channels.
- Visit the website for the film " Flo w ." The site's Take Action page offers many Faith in Action project ideas and links to global water activism partner sites.
Description of Activity
Invite participants and congregation members to a viewing of the 2008 documentary film, "Flow." Directed by Irena Salina and an official 2008 Sundance selection, the film asks "Can anyone really own water?" It explores the role of corporations in privatizing water to sell in bottles. According to the film, fresh water is a $400 billion dollar global industry; the third largest behind electricity and oil. The film offers calls to action—ways viewers can get involved and help change the course of global water usage.
For this gathering, you may wish to use the symbolic (water) chalice lighting which opens and closes Gather the Spirit workshops. Show the film, then guide a discussion. Be ready to present local opportunities for action that the Gather the Spirit group and the congregation can take. You might use these questions:
- What was most surprising to learn?
- Had you thought before about "who owns water"? What new thoughts or feelings about water ownership did the film bring to you?
- What is one change in your life as a result of this film?
- What can this faith community do to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem?
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources