Alternate Activity 1: Sunny Side Mary
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Sunny Side Mary"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story. Decide whether you might use it in addition to, or instead of, Activity 1, Guided Meditation.
Description of Activity
This story examines the role of unfair social rules in unfair distribution of resources.
Read or tell the story. Process the story with these questions:
- What did you think of the way everyone accepted the rule of who sat in the sunny and shady sides of the fountain?
- Is there an example in your life of a "rule" that everyone follows, but no one is sure where it started? (One example for school age children, or even adults, could be where everyone sits during lunch at school or work.)
- What did you think of Mary's decision to stand up for what she believed in?
Invite participants to share ways they have helped allocate a resource more fairly by confronting an unfair practice in their own lives.
For more information contact email@example.com.