Activity 4: Turdlywinks
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Turdlywinks Game Board
- Plastic, colored disks for a traditional game of tiddlywinks
Preparation for Activity
- Using Leader Resource 1, make enough game boards so everyone can play the game in a group of four or five.
- Obtain enough tiddlywinks disks for all participants.
- Plan how you will form small groups to play the game. Each group will need at least one strong reader.
- Optional: Make sure your game is up-to-date. Visit the WaterAid U.K. website ; if a new version of the Turdlywinks game board has been posted with updated water facts, consider downloading it to make the game boards. Or, add the most recent worldwide water statistics to your version of Turdlywinks.
Description of Activity
WaterAid, an organization that funds sanitation to protect water supplies in locations around the world, developed the Turdlywinks game to build public awareness. Distribute game boards and discs. Tell the group:
The object of the game is to get everyone's discs into the toilet at the top of the sheet. You know what the discs represent.
When a player's disc does not make it into the toilet, they or another player reads aloud one of the facts "splattered" on the game sheet.
This game may seem gross to some people. Remind the group this is a fun and humorous way to talk about how toilets and sanitation help communities and keep our precious water sources clean.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.