You Are Here
Faith In Action: Water Steward's Pledge
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Handout 1, Sad Statistics
- Handout 2, Water Steward's Pledge
Preparation for Activity
- Decide whether to hold a large group discussion or form smaller groups of three to five participants. If you will form small groups, make sure each will have strong readers as well as a representation of diverse ages for diversity of perspective.
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants. Or, to save paper, write some of the statistics on sheets of newsprint and post. Or, print just enough copies for each small group to have one.
- Copy Handout 2 for all participants. Or, if you have time, print out one copy to use as a model. Post newsprint to record the group's ideas for a Water Steward's Pledge.
- Optional: Write discussion questions on newsprint and post. This may be especially helpful if you plan to form multiple small groups.
Description of Activity
Share the statistics from Handout 1; you might read some aloud or invite a few volunteers to read. Guide a discussion about these statistics with the whole group, or, form small groups to talk about the statistics. Use these questions:
- Which sad statistic is most surprising?
- For which can you most easily imagine a way you could help?
- Which most strongly calls you to action?
Re-gather the group. Distribute Handout 2, Water Steward's Pledge, and pens/pencils. Or, use the handout as a model and guide the group to write a pledge together. Record ideas on newsprint. Help the group finalize the wording. Then copy the pledge on a fresh sheet of newsprint and invite everyone to sign it. Or, make copies for participants to sign at a future workshop.