Activity 4: Creativity in Nature Videos
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Computer with Internet access and a large monitor or a digital projector and screen
Preparation for Activity
- Preview these videos of bowerbirds and decide which you will watch: Satin Bowerbird courtship (2:46), Satin Bowerbird (1:42), Vogelkopf bowerbird (4:13), and Vogelkopf Bowerbird (3:18).
- You may want to include examples of other animals expressing creativity. This video shows elephants that have been trained to paint (3:42).
- Test computer and Internet access, and cue the videos to show the group.
Description of Activity
This activity makes bowerbirds and their bowers concrete by showing the children what they look like.
Watch the footage you have selected.
When you are done, gather in a circle and process the activity with questions such as:
- I wonder how male bowerbirds select items for their bowers.
- I wonder how the female bowerbirds decide which bowers they like best.
- I wonder how the elephants learn to paint pictures? Where do they get their ideas?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.