Faith In Action: Worm Composting Bins
Activity time: 60 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Instructions for families to take home, and (optional) appropriate materials
- Closing song lyrics from Session 1
- Optional: Handout 2, Decomposition Chorus Lyrics
Preparation for Activity
- Find out whether your congregation already has a composting bin. If it does, make this activity a workshop to show families how to make a compost bin (worm or other type) for home use. If it does not, make one for the congregation together and, if you wish, provide instructions and materials for families to make their own at home.
- Choose the type of compost bin to make. Gather the appropriate materials. Instructions for worm composting can be found here or here. Instructions for other types of compost bins can be found here or here.
- Choose a date for the activity in consultation with the religious educator and appropriate congregational leaders.
- Communicate the event to the World of Wonder families and, if you wish, the wider congregation. If the congregation participates in the Green Sanctuary program, invite members of that committee to participate.
- Optional: Copy Handout 2, Decomposition Chorus Lyrics for all participants.
Description of Activity
Children practice leadership and stewardship of the web of life by building worm compost bins for the congregation (or helping their families build compost bins for home use).
Build a congregational or a demonstration compost bin together. One family might like to take home the demonstration bin. To encourage families to replicate this project at home, provide materials they will need and create instruction handouts.
Have volunteers take photographs or video to document the project.
Optional: Teach and lead the Decomposition Chorus (Handout 2) to this multi-age group. Offer participants a copy of Handout 2 and ask the children to teach the motions.
At the close of the event, ask the World of Wonder children to lead participants in the song "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."
Share the photos or video with the children in a subsequent session.
Including All Participants
Ensure that the shared work area is accessible to all.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.