Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- World of Wonder Mural from Session 1
- Leader Resource 1, Mural Image - Butterfly, and tape
- Closing song lyrics from Session 1
- Taking It Home
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1, Mural Image - Butterfly, preferably in color.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
- Post the World of Wonder mural.
- Display the newsprint with lyrics to the Closing song, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."
Description of Activity
Gather in a circle by the World of Wonder mural. Say in these words or your own:
Today we learned that metamorphosis is the way in which caterpillars become butterflies and tadpoles become frogs. Unitarian Universalists believe that that all people and animals and plants are part of an invisible web of life, like the web on our mural. Each time we meet we add something new to our World of Wonder mural. Today we add a picture of butterfly to remind us of the mystery and wonder of metamorphosis.
Attach the picture to the mural.
Indicate the lyrics to the closing song "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands." Invite the Song Leader to start the song with accompanying hand motions. Participants can help each other remember hand motions or can create new ones.
Distribute Taking It Home. Thank the children for participating and invite them to return next time.