Activity 5: Toilet Paper Roll Binoculars
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Clean, used toilet paper rolls
- Construction paper, markers or crayons, tape and glue sticks
- A stapler and a single hole punch (for adult use)
- Yarn and scissors, including left-handed scissors
Preparation for Activity
- In advance, ask families to save toilet paper rolls. Gather enough for each child to have two, plus a few extra for newcomers.
- Place materials on work tables.
Description of Activity
Give each child two toilet paper rolls. They can cover them with construction paper, decorate them with markers, or leave them plain. Help them staple the two rolls together, punch a hole on each of the outside walls of the tubes, and cut a length of yarn and tie to make a strap. Now they have binoculars for bird-watching or spying.
Say, in these words or your own:
This was a very easy project to make from recycled toilet paper rolls. Can you think of other projects that would be fun to make at a birthday party?
Add ideas to the newsprint list from Activity 4, Birthday Brainstorm.