Closing (5 minutes), Session 5: The Blessing Of Imperfection
In "Windows and Mirrors," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Taking It Home handout
- Optional: Session 1, Leader Resource 2, Namaste
Preparation for Activity
- Identify a place for participants to store their Window/Mirror panels between sessions. Keep in mind that there may be times the panels are not entirely dry when the session ends.
- Write the closing words on newsprint and post.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy as a handout for all participants (or, email to parents).
- Review Session 1, Leader Resource 2 so you can briefly explain the origin and meaning of Namaste and demonstrate the accompanying gesture.
Description of Activity
Explain that the session is almost over and we will now work together as a community to clean the meeting space. Ask everyone first to clean up their own area and the materials they were using, then clean another area or help someone else. No one should sit in the circle until the meeting space is clean.
Then bring the group back to the circle. Ask them to think about what happened today that was good or what they wish had gone better. If you are running short of time you can ask them for a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on the session.
Invite each participant to say, in a word or sentence, why it is important for them to be a part of this faith community. You may go around the circle for responses; allow individuals to speak or pass.
Then ask everyone to hold hands and say together:
Stand firm in your faith;
Be courageous and strong;
Let all that you do be done in love. — 1 Corinthians 16
If this is the first time the group will say goodbye with "namaste," explain its origin and meaning. Then, lead the group in saying goodbye with the bowing gesture that accompanies the word "namaste."
Distribute copies of the Taking It Home handout you have prepared. Thank and dismiss participants.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources