Activity 5: Window/Mirror Panel - Forgiveness Heart
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- All participants' Window/Mirror Panels
- Color pencils (sharpened or with a sharpener available)
- Basket(s) of window/mirror panel materials:
- Sheets of Mylar(R) in several colors, shiny gift wrap, aluminum foil and other reflective paper
- Sheets of plain or construction paper
- Scraps of fabric
- Color markers (permanent markers work best on Mylar)
- Glue sticks, tape (including double-sided tape) and scissors (including left-hand scissors)
- Optional: Stick-on sequins, a hole-puncher, yarn, ribbon and a variety of magazines to cut up
Preparation for Activity
- Cut out heart shapes from paper or Mylar. Hearts should be five inches at the widest point (or larger, if children's Window/Mirror Panels are quite large). You may wish to make a variety of colors or sizes to offer children some choices. If you use Mylar, children will need permanent markers to write on their hearts.
- Have materials, including children's Window/Mirror Panels, easily accessible.
- Make sure pencils are sharpened.
Description of Activity
Invite children to get their Window/Mirror Panels and settle at work tables. Distribute Window/Mirror Panel baskets of materials. Give each participant a heart shape.
Invite participants to decorate their heart in response to the question "What does forgiveness mean to you?" Tell them they may write or draw their idea of forgiveness and then add their forgiveness heart to their Window/Mirror Panel. If they are writing, ask them to begin with "Forgiveness is... ."
Keep instructions to a minimum. Explain that they have a very short time to complete this and discourage them from over-thinking it. Let each participant choose where the piece should go on their panel and help them attach it.
Including All Participants
A participant who cannot write or draw may be able to dictate their thoughts to a co-leader to write on a heart. You might invite the participant to choose another child who has finished their own heart to decorate theirs, too, according to their instructions.