You Are Here
Alternate Activity 4: Body Prayer Library
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Visual resources about body prayer. These books are recommended:
- Body Prayer: The Posture of Intimacy with God by Doug Pagitt and Kathryn Prill ( Colorado Springs, Colorado : Waterbrook Press, 2005)
- Praying with Our Hands: 21 Practices of Embodied Prayer from the World's Spiritual Traditions by Jon Sweeney ( Woodstock, Vermont , Sky Lights Paths Publishing, 2000)
- Optional: Contemplative music and music player; chalice; or other items to set a mood
- Optional: Yoga mats or small rugs
Preparation for Activity
- Collect resources for the Body Prayer Library. Look for photographic documentation of physical prayer practices in books and on websites provided by actual practitioners.
- Set the books, printouts or other resources on a table. Nearby, place yoga mats, small rugs and other items for participants to use in prayer postures.
Description of Activity
Gather and display resources about prayer practices in different faiths and cultures. Provide yoga mats and/or small rugs to encourage children to try movement. Consider lighting a chalice and/or playing contemplative music to set a mood that helps participants connect body and spirit.
You might add this activity to the session, include the Body Prayer Library as a prayer station in Activity 4, and/or invite participants, their families and adult volunteers to explore the library before and after the session.