You Are Here
Activity 2: Window/Mirror Panel - My Privilege
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- All participants' Window/Mirror Panels
- Newsprint lists of "Privileges" and "Skills" from Activity 1
- Paper or card stock, cut to a size that can be placed within Window/Mirror Panels
- Optional: Paint and paintbrushes, pastels or other art media
- Basket(s) of Window/Mirror panel materials:
- Sheets of Mylar(R) in several colors, shiny gift wrap, aluminum foil and other reflective paper
- Sheets of plain or construction paper
- Scraps of fabric
- Color markers (permanent markers work best on Mylar)
- Glue sticks, tape (including double-sided tape) and scissors (including left-hand scissors)
- Optional: Stick-on sequins, a hole-puncher, yarn, ribbon and a variety of magazines to cut up
Preparation for Activity
- Have materials easily accessible.
Description of Activity
Invite the children to bring their Window/Mirror Panels to work tables. Distribute Window/Mirror Panel basket(s) and paper or card stock you have pre-cut. Invite the children to look at the list from Activity 1. Say something like:
Look at our list of privileges and skills. Consider the Mirror question: What is my privilege? Consider the Window question: How can we use our privileges to build community? Choose a privilege you feel you have been given and a skill you have earned. Represent one of each-a privilege and a skill-with words, pictures or a combination.
As the group works, invite small group conversation. You may ask questions from the previous activity that were not touched on, or simply invite children to talk about what they are making. Give a warning when several minutes remain for children to finish and clean up. If there is time, invite volunteers to share with the larger group.