Alternate Activity 1: Making Cards for Service People in Our Community
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint with ideas from Activity 2, Brainstorm Survival Needs
- Postcard-sized card stock in various colors, at least one sheet for each participant
- Markers, colored pencils, crayons
- Stickers of festive shapes and designs
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain address of some local service departments the children might choose, and, if possible, individual service workers' names.
- Designate a co-leader or adult volunteer to collect the finished cards and make sure they are sent or delivered to the appropriate contact.
- Post the newsprint with "Needs" and "Who Provides?" lists from Activity 2.
Description of Activity
Invite the group to make colorful thank-you cards for people who perform needed services in the community.
Decide with the group who they will make cards for. Refer to the list of needs and the service people who meet those needs they brainstormed in Activity 2. They might consider sending cards to the local police department, the staff of a local clinic or emergency room, your community's library staff or the fire department.
Distribute card stock and arts and crafts materials for children to share at work tables.
As they work, ask the group to think about the work the recipients of the cards do. How does it feel to acknowledge these people? At the end of the activity ask the group to offer a moment of prayer of gratitude.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.