You Are Here
Alternate Activity 1: Looking Closely at Photographic or Fine Art Images
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A variety of complex fine art images (see Leader Resource 3)
- Optional: To include a vision-impaired participant, tactile art objects, such as sculpture or fabric weaving
- Optional: Tape or putty to post images on walls or attach to table surfaces
Preparation for Activity
- Print the images provided in Leader Resource 3, Photographic or Fine Arts Images or obtain other images you wish to use. Display the images on work tables or on walls.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to examine each image and consider:
- What do you notice about it?
- What do you think it is a picture of?
Then gather the group. As you hold up each image, invite the children to share their observations. Point out the variety in their observations. Ask: Why did we each see different things?
Including All Participants
Be mindful of vision-impaired participants. If any in the group have vision limitations, make sure objects can be observed in a tactile way and encourage all to observe by touch.