Activity 5: Invitation Collage
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Magazines for participants to cut up
- Plain paper for all participants
- Scissors (including left-handed scissors) and glue sticks to share
- Optional: Leader Resource 1, Images of Invitation
Preparation for Activity
- Set out all materials on worktables. Make sure there are enough magazines for all.
Description of Activity
Settle the children at worktables. Ask them to find pictures where they think that welcome and invitation are being shown. You could say:
We are going to find examples of welcome. How do you think someone may look if they are welcomed? (Children may say "happy" or "joyful.") Find pictures of people you think are engaging in welcoming behavior.
Show a few examples of images of welcome and invitation, and invite the children to speculate as to what is going on in each of the pictures. You may use magazine pictures or the images in Leader Resource 1.You may also draw your own examples and/or have children make drawings to include in the collage - or instead of a collage.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.