Activity 4: Acts Of Kindness Role Play
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- The Golden Rulers participants made in Activity 3
- Newsprint, markers and tape
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Tell them they will have a chance to act out situations where they might use the Golden Rule. Ask for volunteers to come into the middle of the circle to act out the first scenario. When the volunteers are ready, share one of the following scenarios for them to act out. Continue with other volunteers and scenarios. Invite brief discussion after each role play. After a few scenarios, tell the children to raise their Golden Ruler if they have an idea for another scenario, perhaps one from their own experiences or one they make up.
- Your friend dropped all of their candy out of their bag. You still have your whole bag of candy in your hand.
- You see your friend crying on the playground. When you ask why they are crying, they say "I wanted to play tag with the older kids, but they said, 'No.'"
- You are in the grocery store with your parents and you see someone drop items from their hands onto the floor.
- You notice a new child your age walk into the sanctuary at church holding tightly to their father's leg.
- During coffee hour you notice an adult in a wheelchair holding a cup of coffee with both hands, but they do not have a treat to eat.
- At school you notice that when your class ran outside for recess, only one classmate stayed behind to help your teacher clean up after snack.
End the activity by asking the group to hold up their Golden Rulers and say; "I promise to be kind and treat others the way I want to be treated."
Including All Participants
Some children may be shy about volunteering to act out roles. That is okay. Try to engage everyone in discussion.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.