Alternate Activity 1: Penny Jar
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Penny jar, created in Session 11, The Gift of Stewardship
- Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Post a blank sheet of newsprint and write "Penny Jar" at the top.
- Set the penny jar where all can see it.
- Optional: Count the pennies, or allow volunteers to count the pennies, and write the amount collected on the newsprint.
Description of Activity
The children decide what to do with the money they have collected in their penny jar.
Gather the children where they can see the newsprint. Tell them that together they will decide how they would like to give the gift of stewardship. Review with them their understanding of "stewardship." Then ask them to suggest ideas of who they can help with a gift of money. You might have some ideas ready to help them clarify their wishes. For example, you might be aware of specific animal shelters in case someone says they would like to help animals.
Write all their ideas on newsprint.
Try to reach a consensus decision. The process will depend on the size of the group. Large groups may have to vote to narrow down the ideas to a few before reaching consensus by discussion.
After the session, donate the funds as the group has decided. Make sure the Wonderful Welcome group receives an appropriate acknowledgement for their gift of stewardship.
For more information contact email@example.com.